One of the great benefits of being in Christ is gaining strength from Him that we need.
Ephesians 6:10 tells us to “be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.”
You can be strong in the power of His might.
- This kind of strength causes hell’s gates to tremble.
- This is the strength and power that Christ exercised when He arose in victory.
- This is the strength and power that Christ exercised when He defeated death and hell.
- You need His strength, power, and might for daily living.
Have you felt that something must be wrong… I should be stronger?”
- The Lord wants you to look to Him.
- The Lord is the source of all the strength that you need.
In 2 Samuel 22, David spoke these praises to the God of his deliverance.
2 Samuel 22:2-4 NKJV And he said: “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Savior, You save me from violence. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.
Don’t think for a moment that David did not have his challenges or distresses.
- In the next several verses, he spoke about the great distresses of his soul and body.
2 Samuel 22:7 NKJV In my distress I called upon the Lord, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry entered His ears.
- I am sure you have been there.
- You were in some kind of distress.
- You were under attack.
- You felt weak.
- You needed help.
- So, you called upon the Lord.
- You cried out to God.
- David said, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.” (Psalms 46:1)
- God wants to make you strong.
- He has heard your cries in your distress.
- He has heard your voice.
- Your cry has entered His ears.
Have you ever asked for help and the person you spoke to did not hear?
- He heard my cry.
- How do you know God heard?
- When the Lord God Almighty heard David’s cry, He was moved to action.
2 Samuel 22:8 NKJV “Then the earth shook and trembled; The foundations of heaven quaked and were shaken, Because He was angry.
- God is deeply moved by your situation.
2 Samuel 22:14 NKJV “The Lord thundered from heaven, And the Most High uttered His voice.
2 Samuel 22:17-20 NKJV “He sent from above, He took me, He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, …the Lord was my support.He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me.
You need to know that the Lord God Almighty is listening to you.
- When He hears your cry, He always takes action.
- He is a faithful Father.
- He is a powerful Savior.
- He is the mighty God.
When you know how the Lord will help you, it gives you strength to stand.
- How did David have strength to stand against the lion and the bear?
- How did he have the courage and strength to stand against Goliath?
- How could he stand strong when his enemies encamped around him?
The God who shakes heaven and earth heard him and came to his aid.
- David made this very clear.
- God hears the cry of the righteous.
- He will reward your faithfulness and blameless life.
Listen as David describes the strength he has gained in God.
2 Samuel 22:30-32 NKJV For by You I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall. As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. “For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?
- He knew that he could stand strong because the Lord was with him.
- He knew the source of his distress would be defeated.
- He knew the fiery darts of the wicked one would not achieve their purpose, for the Lord was His shield and rock.
2 Samuel 22:33 NKJV God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
- You need to make that confession.
- “The Lord my God is my strength and power…”
- You are not facing your distresses in your own strength.
- You are not facing your enemies with your own devices.
- The Lord your God is with you.
- He is your strength.
David said the Lord helped him and gave him strength.
- He was not trusting in his own strength or goodness.
- David was not perfect in all of his ways.
- He knew that God gave him the ability to stand strong.
2 Samuel 22:34 NKJV He makes my feet like the feet of deer, And sets me on my high places.
- On the sides of mountains, your footing is not sure.
- God gives such strength and stability that you know that He makes you safe.
- He secures you when you would fall.
2 Samuel 22:35 NKJV He teaches my hands to make war, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
- The Apostle Paul spoke about the full armor of God.
- He said “be strong in the Lord and the power of His might.”
- It is God’s power and might that makes us strong.
- David’s declaration is just as powerful.
- God’s strength gives us the ability to come out and face the adversary with renewed strength.
- Even if the enemy comes out against you with all of his vile schemes and power, you will keep standing.
2 Samuel 22:36 NKJV “You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your gentleness has made me great.
- Did you ever think of your salvation as a “shield?”
- God’s salvation brings blessed assurance.
- You are covered by the precious blood of Jesus.
- You know you have been made clean and righteous.
- You have security behind the shield of God’s salvation.
- What does that last phrase mean?
- “Your gentleness has made me great.”
- The Living Bible says: “Your help has made me great.”
- The Amplified Bible says: “Your condescension and gentleness have made me great.”
- The NIV says: “You stoop down to make me great.”
- Each of these helps us understand what God does.
- He reached down in gentleness, not wrath, to help us.
- He could have spoken harshly because of our weakness and failures.
- He reached down and gave the Answer that would save.
- He came down to lift us up.
- He came down to make us strong.
- He came keep us from falling.
2 Samuel 22:37 NKJV You enlarged my path under me; So my feet did not slip.
Do you see what God has done for you through Jesus Christ?
Ephesians 6:10 “…Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.”
- He said “be strong.”
- He said “Be strengthened with the power of My might.”
- He has strengthened you so you can stand against Satan’s schemes.
- He has given you the ability to stand even in difficult places.
- You don’t have to fail under the oppressive and distressing attacks of the adversary.
- God has given you a sturdy and safe place to stand.
- When you stand with Him, you are mighty through God.
- He has made a wide path so your feet don’t slip.
- What about your distresses and anxiety?
- What about the unrelenting attacks and Satan’s schemes?
- What about the gates of hell?
- They shall not prevail against you.
- You are being made more than a conquerer.
- You are being made mighty through God.
- You are being made great in Jesus Christ.
- Jesus Christ has come down to where you are so He could lift you up into His victory and new life.
I have often thought about little David out there on the battlefield with Goliath.
- David was just a lad.
- His brothers mocked him.
- The king did not think he could stand against the giant.*
- He did not have a sword in his hand.
- Goliath scorned and despised him.
- He said he would feed his flesh to the birds of the air.
- David said, “I am not coming to you in weakness.”
- “I am coming in the name of the Lord of host.”
- “The Lord will deliver you into my hand.”
- This life in Christ has made you strong.
- Don’t let your situation mock you.
- Don’t let the vile forces of the adversary increase your distress or fear.
- God has made you strong in Christ Jesus.